Therapeutic Relationship

Learning the proper ways to facilitate a therapeutic relationship was helpful for visualizing how I can interact with clients when I am a practicing OT to gain their trust. Learning about the appropriate ways to begin and maintain a relationship with a client through therapeutic use of self and characteristics that help facilitate trust are important to keep in mind. After all a therapist can't expect their client to improve without having trust. Forming a quality therapeutic relationship can encourage and motivate clients to consistently attend therapy sessions and continue with their exercises. After learning the appropriate ways to form a therapeutic relationship it made me think back to the therapists I have worked for or observed. I began dissecting how they went about forming this relationship if they did at all. Of course every therapist I observed did not consistently follow all of these tips or outline and as tech I got to hear first hand feedback from clients who did not feel a sense of trust or mutual respect. After hearing the clients complaints and observing the therapists' shortcomings in person motivated me to vow I would strive to never allow my clients to feel that way. That motivation in addition to the outline provided in class of how to facilitate a therapeutic relationship will definitely be utilized when I begin practicing as an OT.

Comments

Popular Posts