Knowledge Check #29

The lecture that Professor Flick gave was very informative and eye opening. I am a part of the group that she mentioned who thought OTs operated mostly on a small one on one scale. I was not aware of the community-based and large scale platforms where OTs could work. It turns out I had a very limited view of what all the profession of occupational therapy entails. We can do so much more than conduct evaluations in a hospital or rehab setting. It is our job to be that bridge between groups of people and the medial personal or legislatures. She spoke about a study, which caught my attention that recognized the important roles OTs can play when analyzing hospital readmission rates. It was a moment of pride for me to hear that the profession I have chosen to pursue can make such a difference for the well being of people and more importantly that other professions are starting to recognize the importance of OT as well.
Another important point from the lecture that stood out to me was the importance for OTs to adapt their jargon and language to meet their clients halfway. The video that interviewed and featured everyday people who cannot read well enough to understand the instructions printed on their medication bottles upset me. This issue is world wide and I'm sure it is especially prevalent in Memphis where literacy rates are so low. As a person who has never been in such a situation due to my education level and the privilege of having a mother who is a nurse, I have to remember when I begin practicing that not everyone I am going to see if like me. It will be my job to create trust through forming that therapeutic relationship with my clients that allows them to feel comfortable enough to ask me simple questions regarding their treatment, medications, or even paperwork. Having worked in a clinic before I am guilty of handing client's paperwork and assuming they can read and understand it while I continue doing other aspects of my job. I have to remember to slow down and check for understanding that way there is a mutual understanding of the exercises, practices, and paperwork.

Comments

Popular Posts