OCP Simulation Reflection


The SIM experience went really well for me. I felt a lot more calm during this simulation than others because I felt confident in the material I was delivering. I also incorporated techniques I learned or that were suggested to me during past SIM experiences, into this one. However, if I had the opportunity to redo it I would change my speed of delivery while explaining all of the information to “Libby’s mother.” When I get nervous I go on autopilot essentially and am just so focused on covering all of the information I am expected to touch on that the tempo of my voice increases. I know at times that, that amount of information coming at someone, especially one in a vulnerable position, can be overwhelming and difficult to process. Looking back, I feel I should have paused and checked for more understanding throughout my explanation.
Portraying a caring attitude can be so much more than just the words that someone says. Actions, facial expressions, and body language can affect how someone is perceived despite what words might be coming out of their mouth. Some ways that a therapist can show a caring attitude is through how they position themselves in relation to the client. Sitting next to or at an angle closer to the client rather than across a table or space can facilitate more of an equal relationship. Also, a therapist sitting next to or moving toward the client can make the client feel comforted and less isolated when receiving upsetting news. A therapist can also show a caring attitude by actively listening and responding to concerns the client may have. Asking questions about statements a client has made can communicate a caring attitude.
One take away from this experience is just how important it is to build that therapeutic rapport with clients. In the past SIM experiences we have been directly interacting with clients about their difficulties however, for this experience we were interacting with the mother of a client. Though I am not a mother, I am aware that issues affecting their children are much more stressful than issues affecting their own bodies. It is so important for us as therapists to be a comfort and form of support to parent(s)/caregiver(s). It is a team effort between the professionals and parents to improve their child’s quality of life and it is important that the parents understand that.

Comments

Popular Posts